Monday, November 28, 2011

Walking or Eddie Money builds a two car garage in my heart

I want you to engage in an imaginative exercise with me. That exercise is the lat pull down, first. Okay, I suppose that's not entirely where I was headed. Imagine you write sentences periodically. Imagine that you string them together into paragraphs and sometimes write about light and clouds and use metaphors to try and make significant points. Now imagine that your child has taken his/her first steps. Got that. Write away my good friends!

Okay, that done, I can move on to more pressing concerns. I'm a reasonable person. I think that's fair to say. And, like any reasonable person, of either gender mind you, when you are kicking it in the evening, child asleep, television shows concluded after much whinging about the not so subtle plot points of network television shows, and you get to thinking, how can I close out this evening in style? What comes to mind? Probably chocolate. Zing. And now I'm writing a Kathy cartoon.

Anyhow, if you're a kick as- type person you're probably going to put on some Eddie Money. (You could also reasonably put on A Land Down Under by men at work or Money for Nothing/Lionel Richie). Anything else, and it's probably time to stop living in the present and realize that the 1980's would kick you in the as- ten times over if they were still around.



So yeah, now, dear friends, just try and imagine the reaction of your spouse, sig. other, friend, cat, pet fish, stylish rug, when you put this song on? How is your rug reacting? Your rug is probably dancing and enjoying life, your spouse is thanking their lucky stars that you were ever born. They are praising the miracle of life that is Take me Home Tonight.

And that's why when S walked up to me and said, "What's that? Are you on some weird eighties trip?" that a little part of me died inside. Okay, a big part. A large part of me died inside where Eddie Money used to have a condo, a car, and some ladies with big hair. Was it hurtful? I don't think I can connote how hurtful it was. It was like being punched in the face by a forklift. And that's an understatement.

Needless to say, minutes later, as we were cleaning up in the kitchen I noticed S humming a song to herself, and I knew that perhaps there was some hope for us in the future. Perhaps the sun would come up tomorrow, and maybe Eddie Money could add on to that place in my heart, maybe put in a two car garage, because I think he's here to stay.

2 comments:

  1. ow...eddies clothes, hair, and voice ...so
    distinctive!
    nothing like a girl in a slinky,form fitting 80's dress
    long live the 80's, 90's, and 00's???
    i will be humming this song all day long or is
    it "all night long"(lionel richie)
    did lil s start dancing to this??

    ReplyDelete