Sunday, December 30, 2012

Les Miserables or how many times it made me cry



I feel like the best way to describe my experience of this movie is through a song. Anyhow, I had the video uploaded, Youtube was buzzing with twitters, when suddenly, I realized that I can't sing worth a damn, so I'd just be stuck with the blunt instrument of prose. I think I mean bland more than blunt, which winds up sounding vaguely threatening. The ineffectual(?) effete(?) kind of old-fashioned instrument of prose.

I saw the musical a number of years ago in Chicago. I left the theater mostly unimpressed/singing, "Master of the House" at a volume on the street that I think it's fair to say that the fine people of Chicago probably felt compelled to join in. They didn't, but I think they wanted to. Anyhow, I fell asleep midway through, was confused about who people were, Fantine sounds like a delicious cheese for a cracker but apparently she does other things as well. Also, Eponine. Didn't remember her at all. The point is, it made very little impact on me because people were singing, which is hard to listen to in less it is a karaoke bar and you're in a group with the people singing, who probably sound only slightly worse than Russell Crowe. Zing. 

Anyhow, the list: 

Number of times I cried during Les Miserables and who did it: 

1 Valjean Arrested, Valjean Forgiven- Is the Bishop of Digne going to forgive you and give you the rest of the candle sticks and melt my cynics heart right off the bat? But, he took from you. He stole. Oh you're purchasing back his eternal soul. 

2 Fantine singing "I Dreamed a Dream," why are you singing about all your dreams being crushed. You've got some hope girl. Things are going to change. What? You're dying of TB? Well, you had a good run, sing it girl! 

3 Eponine singing "On My Own" Oh, what's that, your never quite boyfriend just fell in love with some other girl on the drop of a hat, your parents are awful, and now it's raining. This could be terrible. Or  you could make it beautiful Eponine. Thank you for making it beautiful. 

4 The cast singing "One Day More" Hey look it's just everyone in the known world gathering together to sing  in some sort of four part harmony about having some more time. Here heartstrings, have a tug. 

5  Eponine and Marius singing "A Little Fall of Rain." Did you make me fall in love with you by singing in the rain, Eponine, just to take to the streets to get shot? Why would you do that to me? This hurts. Wait, does Marius love you? I guess he doesn't, but he kind of does. This is all just very sad. 

6 Company singing "Do You Hear the People Sing." Yes. I do hear the people sing, but sometime it's hard to focus through the tears Les Miserables. I mean. I'm about to have to walk out of a lit theater with people in the car with me. Why do you have to do that with the people all singing and waving flags and our hearts lifting? 






1 comment:

  1. i believe the title gives it away...
    napoleon was not a nice man...
    "let them eat cake" indicates an attitude too..
    tears of misery
    but how many movies have wolverine vs. gladiator??

    ReplyDelete