Saturday, September 21, 2013

Sadie's Current Play List: Macklemore, Carly Rae etc.

Listen, Sadie's primary play list is Raffi. However, as I'm generally located in the same room and have to make do, we experiment with other music as well. Sometimes you just want one of the wheels on the bus to get a flat and for the driver to pull over, and all the dads and moms and babies go get on another bus, so the bus driver can go have a cigarette and talk with his friends about the Jets game over a cigarette.

With that in mind: Robin Thicke- Blurred Lines.

For the record, we listen to this music on Spotify. I'd not call the actual video a high point in male and female relations. Also, taking a queue from the wonderful, Vampire Weekend, I yell fish in lieu of the less generous term bit--. Also, she fell over while trying to get out the toy basket the first time she heard this song. And now, every time the song comes on she asks me if she can do her funny joke and repeats the accident. Note: It isn't as funny, but she's trying.

Secondarily, she doesn't get the line, "what rhymes with hug me." Instead, she hears, hug me and has said multiple times, "I like hugs too!" That, and I posted a video of her dancing to this song, which wound up being 1.5 minutes of her running in a circle. I can't take away her childish joy at listening to what she calls the "Hey, hey, hey" song. There is plenty of time in our lives for me to sit her down and deconstruct the sexist male overtones. For now, this song gets the party started, and we're okay with that.





Second: The Lumineers-Big Parade

She's liked this song for a while. She calls it the "lovely girl" song and who couldn't love the happy clapping and saying lovely girl.



Third: Macklemore and Ryan Lewis-Cowboy Boots

I would not have guessed, during that time we were listening to clean versions (not here, apologies for the two curse words) of "The Heist" that she'd have picked this song as her favorite. She calls it "Cowboy Boots," because she's a genius. Also the refrain is all about Cowboy Boots. I'm crediting her love of this song with the incredibly interpretation of line dancing that I do every time it comes on. Any little girl watching her dad do some faux kick as- line dancing is probably going to love that song.



Fourth: The Avett Brothers-I and Love and You

This is probably because I let her watch the video. She, like every child over the age of two days, pretty much wants to spend all day in front of a screen of some sorts. We're good modern parents, so we limit that screen time to twenty minutes a day. However, one day I let her watch the video for this song three times in a row. I didn't really vet it, but I'm pretty sure no murdering or nude girls dance around. If they do, please don't tell me as I'll have to apologize to S. It's also a great song, so I'm not at all sad that she wants to listen to "I and Love and You," genius, I'm telling you.



Fifth: Carly Rae Jepsen-Call me Maybe

She now calls this song "Call me Maybe." However, when she first heard it she called it the "crazy one." The first time I heard this song I was on a dance floor in Portland, Oregon with a group of guys that I've known forever and love like family. Anyhow, most of them were sitting, but I was up dancing, because you only live once. Anyhow, this song came on and the whole bar started singing along. I'd never heard the song before but after one round of the chorus I had developed hand gestures for giving out phone numbers and getting called, because sometimes the body just knows when you're hearing gold. Sadie was the same way. She just knew right away that you were probably supposed to dance when this song came on. Sometimes she wants to hear it twice in a row. You can't deny her. It's "Call me Maybe." P.S. I think she also saw the first second of the video once or twice and wanted to keep watching, mesmerized by the young muscly man taking off his shirt, so that video was definitely never shown again. Cliched jokes are cliched for a reason. I'm not ready for that mess.




1 comment:

  1. call me maybe...carly rae jepsens one and only hit..and she is canadian!
    i believe this song is singable and danceable much like selena gomez one verse wonder..
    "when you're ready come and get it"
    such depth???

    ReplyDelete