Sunday, July 4, 2010

Sunday July 4

Today we'll wake up early, ready to go see Montreal. In the bedroom we'll lament the fact that we're sharing a bathroom with an odd German couple. We'll talk about the Fourth of July's of the past.
S: I miss being in Ocean City.
M: It rains there every year. I can't remember the last time we saw good fireworks.
S: Last year. We saw fireworks and foxes last year.
M: We should stay in DC some year for the 4th.
S: You planned this trip.
M: Some year. Not this one.

After a late breakfast we'll head down to Old Montreal. Along the way we'll talk about what to expect from Cirque du Soleil.
M: I think the circus kind of scares me. Is this like the circus? I had a co-worker tell me that a man came into the audience and asked her if she wanted an apple.

I'll tell her about that year when all the elephants at the circus seemed to be going crazy.

At Old Port, we'll comment on how nice it is that they've maintained the 19th century feel and how it reminds us of a mini-Paris.

I'll say, "Why can't I always be on vacation. It's what I was made for.


In the afternoon we'll eat chicken shawarma on the street from Boustan, and I'll tell her all the other places we're supposed to go, as if I am a child on his first trip to the zoo. We'll watch the Totem performance by Cirque du Soleil


In the evening we'll take in Notre Dame, and I'll lament the fact that no one famous ever went to Montreal. I mean, when Benjamin Franklin on a layover is the best you can do, you've got some problems.



We'll take the metro back to our neighborhood when there is light still in the sky. We'll hike up to the top of Parc du Mont Royal and look back at Montreal from a low green bench. I'll mention that it's pretty, and she'll rest her head against my shoulder. And tonight, I won't even complain about my bum shoulder or the heat, or anything, I'll just rest and relax, our three breaths becoming as one.

1 comment:

  1. many famous french and british generals traveled to and through montreal!
    the metro-another efficient railway system in a foreign country!!
    why cant the u.s. have an effective rail system??
    what do you mean"odd" german couple-perhaps
    you americans are the odd ones??
    both montreal and wash d.c. are going thru prolonged heat and humidity
    ocean city will be covered in oil by 2011 !!
    many of us were born to vacation for life..

    ReplyDelete