Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Thoughts

On Housing:

S: Why does our house smell?

M: I don’t think it smells anymore. It used to smell like an old lady.

S: I think it still smells like an old lady.

M: Maybe, but I think it’s a different old lady

On Blueberries:

S: I love these blueberries.

M: Yeah, I heard you the first time.

S: Sometimes I just get fixated on weird things.

(Minutes Later)

S: I love these blueberries! They taste like candy.

M: You're like George Sr. with his ice cream sandwiches.


On pet names:

M: Oh, that was a good spot to hide my bag from me you crafty bastard.

(Twenty minutes later while doing dishes)

M: Oh come on. Get serious Steph.

S: I only answer to crafty bastard.


On naming:

M: I like Sadie kay that sounds like something you could yell upstairs pretty easily.


On being easygoing:

S: I read the entire baby names book through while I was at K and T's.

M: You what?

S: I came up with a few--

M: I just think that's a huge waste of your time. I can't believe you'd spend an entire evening reading through a names book. It's just a name.

S: It took me like half an hour.

M: We're deciding this name right now!

(Minutes Later)

M: Sometimes I forget that I'm easygoing.


Type A vs. Type B:

S: We could either do plan a or b. Or c or do. or some combination of a and b contingent on whether M is around or not.

M: Why are you even asking me? We both know you're just going to create a thousand scenarios to bludgeon me with and then just pick whatever you want.

S: You're probably right. I'll let you know what I decide.

Fiction (Cont)

I am in a double bind because I do not want to be alone, and I do not want to see Jason. I solve the problem by calling Jason and inviting him over, so I guess it wasn’t really a bind, but more like a conundrum. I know that since he’s coming from the zoo and that he’ll smell like crap.

I am in a tizzy before Jason arrives because that is how I am before company arrive. I worry what they will think of my hair, or the style of the pictutres on my wall, even people I don’t give a damn about. I check myself out in the mirror but then remember that I didn’t even want Jason to come over. So, “screw it,” I say and run a hand through my hair and flatten the left side to make it look as though I’ve just awoken from an afternoon nap, or that I’ve used a flat iron on only one side of my head. , I don’t give a shit what you think, world, is what my hair seems to say.

The soap operas conclude dramatically and Jason arrives at my house. He is wearing a pair of leather sandals that sort of piss me off, and his hair is unwashed. I get him a drink, ice water for the hangover. “It’s Tuesday,” I say. His sandals are already on the ottoman.

For a while, we talk to each other about our days, complaining about co-workers and imagined slights, until we realize that we are boring even to ourselves.

“Some days,” I confide to Jason, “I just want to fire her.”

“Who?” He asks.

“My secretary, Janice.”

“How progressive of you,” he says, but he’s got a piece of popcorn lodged between his mismatched British teeth, so I don’t pay attention to anything that he says. When it suits me, I am the shallowest person in the world.

The problem with eating alone is that I can never figure out where I’m supposed to sit. It’s kind of like Goldilocks and the Three Bears except I always keep searching, moving from chair to chair without anything ever feeling right. I bought the table a few months ago with Jason. When I asked what the hell I needed a six person table for, he said, “Entertaining,” as though it was something I’d do. The truth is, it would be a great table for entertaining. I’d almost invited Janice over once with just that in mind, but then I remembered that she couldn’t drink, and I thought, to hell with Janice and her Puritanism.

1 comment:

  1. with a six person table, when alone, most people
    prefer to sit facing a window so they can see the world pass by as they inhale their meal
    the actual line is "i will let you know what WE have decided"
    as history has proven, a dictator gets a lot more done than a democracy and quicker too!
    or as queen antoinette said "let them eat cake"
    i hope you reminded the french in montreal
    of their history..

    ReplyDelete