Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Baby Clothes

Baby clothes are very small. That's probably something you don't really realize until you do five loads of laundry that include baby clothes. It's about the time that (true story) I was trying to put on this strange black sock that I realized how small baby clothes are. Why? Because that oddly shaped black sock turned out to be a pair of sweatpants. For a baby.

Pretty much S's favorite thing to do now is to walk in the room and apologize for shrinking my jeans while holding up a minuscule pair of little baby girl jeans. I would put up a picture of baby socks, but you really have to behold these things to realize how incredibly small they are. Like most intelligent people I know that a monster lives inside our dryer and that he/she feeds primarily on socks. I'm fearful that within the first month our babies socks will all be gone.

When we used to live in Santa Barbara S would often sigh (contentedly. I've sort of got a patent on the woe is me sigh) and mention how great the weather was, and I would, like any good husband, berate her for pointing it out ever damn day and perhaps mention the hours between 7:30-8 when it was briefly overcast, or how I really enjoy being warm and that SB is such a pain in the ass because you can never get quite warm enough. In retrospect, the real lesson to learn is not that the weather wasn't perfect or that people are never satisfied, but that I'm a bit of a whiner.

Within the past week as we've been doing loads of laundry S likes to pick up random items and scrunch up her face in a way that is reminiscent of little bunny rabbits hopping in a field full of clover. (We're not talking Watership Down bunnies here). This look is supposed to make me realize how incredibly cute the small item she's holding up is. And yes, usually the item is surpassing in its cuteness. However, much like living in Santa Barbara, I'm starting to wonder when we can just pass each other these tiny socks without having to make such a big deal about it. I mean, I get it, they're small. You know what's small and actually cute (disclaimer, after the first six weeks at the very least) babies.

And incidentally, why don't we have similar feelings about things like baby spiders?(Charlotte's Web excepted, apparently this book also had a small girl child whom I don't remember at all. I thought it was all about Wilbur and Charlotte and learning about the circle of life until the pigs took over the farm and stole all the collectives goods) We're pretty much mostly fans of other mammals I suppose. Relatedly, "scientists" claim to have found a new planet that could possibly support life. I think I speak for all of humanity when I say that if it is being inhabited by something, I hope that it's a bunch of little Koala bears. Otherwise, let's just nuke the shi- out of it from 20 light years away and conduct tests later.

I've also lately been on a kick criticizing the ridiculous gap in income between the rich and poor and the vastly inequitably allocation of financial resources. And I forgot to mention that the Supreme Court also sucks for making it legal for major corporations to donate an unlimited amount to campaigns further increasing the political gap between the common American and the really rich American. Supreme Court, you suck also!

7 comments:

  1. Not sure how eco-friendly it is to wash baby clothes for no reason. I guess it makes for a good blog post.
    Tahoe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well if you end up sending the baby back, you could use the clothes for a very small dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But they wear such tiny robes! Awwwwwww.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pssh. You have to wash the baby clothes (all new clothes) to get out the chemicals (formaldahyde) used to set the dyes. Which you paid to have put in.
    Fern. Charlotte and Wilbur's little girl was named Fern. Do you know that: Fern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just telling someone the Santa Barbara weather story this afternoon. Great minds think alike, and so do ours sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the dryer does not eat all the socks- just one blue one, one green one, one red one, etc
    so all you have in the end is a bunch of mis-matched socks!
    warning-those cute, little, tiny clothes cost $$$ and will be worn for only a couple of weeks!
    wait till you start buying shoes,sandals,slippers, etc
    you wont believe the cost inefficiency!
    we no longer vote for politicians-we vote for the corporation of our choice

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is pretty hilarious, and shows that either my sister and I are exactly alike, or all new moms-to-be are exactly alike. Pretty sure Tom didn't fully appreciate the cuteness of the tiny clothes either.

    ReplyDelete