Friday, January 31, 2014

Kansas City--a photo essay #4 (Pictures of the skyline taken while driving on the freeway)

The Fourth picture



I don’t know if it’s a good idea to take pictures while you’re driving, but I do know that it’s hard to hold the camera steady. Luckily, I picked up a trick from my father-in-law, an inveterate photographer who manages to drive and take excellent photos out the rear window that you just need to steady it against the wheel. I take a few shots of the approaching Kansas City skyline, in the foreground you see the face of horrified drivers on the opposite side of the freeway, wondering why I’m driving on top of the median. I take a picture of the skyline, the cars, the cars of a stalled train—the only mode of transportation that I felt like was missing. The main airport for Kansas City is located in a different state, and the drive into the city feels like it. On the way you pass a smaller, closer airport, but it’s the sort of place that you just know the flights cost about a thousand and up.

The skyline is impressive, though my direction appear to be shuttling me right on by. I’ve heard amazing things about the BBQ, which is true of nearly every place we’ve visited over the past few years. However, when you’re running on just under four hours of sleep your main concern becomes finding a place, even a manger, where you can rest your head.

I drove down Main Street waiting for things to get cute. I am not in my early twenties, and I’m married, which means I tend to look at cities in hopes that they are cute. Do they have a gelato place, maybe  some independent book stores? I’m in. Nothing, beyond a detour really happens on Main Street that I’d call cute. It’s just a row of businesses along a solid four lane drag. I pass a sign for Historic Westport, and it’s the type of sign where you just know cute things are happening in Historic Westport. You can almost see the people getting tattoos, making artisan beers and selling jewelry on the street before going to grab a bite to eat at the closest pub, also, maybe an old timey wagon store will be there. Somewhere, there has to be a reference to the Dust Bowl. 

1 comment:

  1. a small airport which the southwest pilot landed at by mistake!!
    gelato,independent book store, cozy cafe, and a single movie theatre..small town america still lives!

    ReplyDelete