Saturday, May 23, 2015

A Poem about death and time and an orchard because those are the only real subjects

After a lunch of black grapes and cheese
The rains came
And chased the party into the house
In the clatter of dishes and raising of coats,
I slip away, through the holly and hedges
Down the stone path toward the apple orchard. 

I push aside the gate,
stone arch crumbled, lying amongst the
thistles and dried grass.

When I was a child,
we used to pick apples here, pink and crisp.
The hill is different now that they've gone,
trees untended, heavy with fruit and 
blackening cores, rotting at the base.

And yet, as I pick my way between them,
bees sifting the grass,
I think of years gone,
of light threading through the silvery boughs
when I'd run down the hill side to 
lick the neck of a girl, 
salty, sweet, intoxicating. 
The girl, now gone, 
countries away. 

I walked over stone and grass today
to find that lost summer of youth.
My feet treading clover and
buttercups, bent like  Claudel's statues
by the press of wind. 

Pebbles of rain
slide down my chin and onto my throat.
The rain slackens, and I hear the voices
of the party coming back to me.
I tread round the husks of apples
and pass the thin webs strung between the trees, 
 silver in silvery light,
husks of flies, spinning round. 

And I hear the sound
of time licking at my heels,
reminding me that one day,
these fields too will be gone,
land flattened by the seas.
And of me and those I have known
there will be nothing but matter, indistinct.
Up the hill, I hear the voices. 
And I reach out and hold onto one of them
 like it is a silver rope of light, 
and I wait for it to carry me home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment