Wednesday, May 6, 2015

On a journey



The door has been open all afternoon. It is her contention that if we keep the door closed no insects will get inside the house. It is my contention that insects will eventually find their way outside of the house if they accidentally wander in. Neither one of has thought of consulting the insects, who buzz indiscriminately either way.

This morning I downloaded several apps trying to find out what white bush, rich in clusters of white flowers and bees, was in our front yard. It's a Spirea though there was some debate about how to pronounce it properly.

For a while, Julian and I jumped over the Black-eyed Susans and stood beneath the Red Maple. "Jump," he said, though he can't do it yet himself. Then he'd stand against the fence and wait to catch his breath, asking us to join him.

Upstairs, while I'm peeing I can hear a bee buzzing beneath the blinds, smacking himself fruitlessly against the window. I don't know how or why he flew upstairs when there is Spirea to be had. I think about scolding him, but he's only a bee. I leave him to the important work of banging his body against the glass. I have other things to do today.

No comments:

Post a Comment