Monday, October 5, 2015

A definitive and completely objective list of the best songs of 2015

If you're like me, you're wondering why you haven't seen all those end of the years lists yet. It's already October, 2015 might as well be over. Hell, 2016 might as well be over. How come I haven't read 300 lists of the best blogs, songs, neck ties, and hair cuts of 2015? I don't know, and you don't either. Don't worry. I'm here to wrap you up in a blanket, so we can sit on the couch and listen to songs together. Without further ado...which is hard for me, I effing love ado.

Hummed Low by Odessa

If I sat next to you on the bus we could talk about aesthetics and politics and social inequity. Later, after an afternoon of drinks in a small pub on the edge of town we could wander into the hills and lie down in the grass and look up at the stars.




The John Wayne by Little Green Cars

It is easy to fall in love with you, but you already knew that. Just look at you as I see you. It's blinding.




RollerCoaster by The Bleachers

The atonality and brazilian dance rhythms really bring this ensemble piece together, and when the Harlem cat's choir kicks in....Oh wait. This song is just fun.



 Until the Night Turns  by Lord Huron--In the moonlight you and I could sing this song, drunk in a cab on a drive back to my place, which is at the edge of the world. Once there, we'll take off our skins and stand in the window, with our spirits pressed against the glass.



Seventeen by Sjowgreen--Wait...Is that a song slowly building to something? If it is, then I'm on board. This isn't going to be quiet, now is it? No. It's going to light the night on fire.





Take My Love by The Lone Bellow--We sat across from each other in the bar, making eyes over two glasses of rum. And then you got up and wandered out into the night, streetlights spilled everywhere and snowflakes dancing like ballerinas. I followed you down the street singing this song.



Turn Around by Mikal Cronin---This song doesn't build like some of the other one's on this list, it smashes in with sypmonic sounds right off the bat and then idles down from there. It sounds like it was off the Garden State sound track. Remember how quirky that movie was and how we used to love Zach Braff and how quirky Natalie Portman was? This was long before you moved out to Denver and got married and bought two dogs. I loved that summer.



Goodbye by Who is Fancy--This song should probably be higher, but it appeared for one week on the Billboard chart at 98, which disqualifies it from being cool. That's how hipsterdome works, right? That and beards, if I understand it correctly. I'm reteroactively moving this song up a few slots. Sorry Jake Hagood. This song is great. Let me know when you want to go karaoke it with me. We can shout the part about how you won't find no one else like me at each other after a couple of whiskey sours.




Don't Wait by Mapei--Oh wait, is someone snapping their fingers? I'm probably in then.



Take you Home by Scars on 45---Oh. Is someone lightly strumming some guitar like it's Josh Radin circa 2006? Let's do this. Even better if the second verse has a surprise entrant by a female singer who I didn't even know was there. Where'd she come from. I love her. Plus these people look like they kind of love each other.










No comments:

Post a Comment