Sunday, March 18, 2012

Conversations

M: I'm going to make oat bran muffins.

S: I don't think we have any oat bran.

M: (Looks in cupboard) Forget it, this was a terrible idea anyway just like America.

S: Oooh. This is the recipe I usually make.

M: Are you listening? I'm slandering the forefathers.

S: These both call for canola oil.

M: I give up.

http://youtu.be/WqFVHHzDaUY

something's gonna be changing come the morning time my friend
as fickle as these streets are they might not even wait around till then


M: No, I didn't feed her any yogurt while you're gone. It makes a huge mess.

S: I knew it. I feed her yogurt every day.

M: How is an all yogurt diet better than no yogurt at all? It's the scientists who've brainwashed you with all their talk of probiotics.

S: Eat with your spoon honey.

http://youtu.be/qwU3PxtHeFE



He came up over a bit of a hill, and for a while it looked as if he was floating, or riding in on the sun itself. That was how he first appeared.

M: I think you sort of compared me to a megalomaniac. I believe it was something along the lines of thinking very highly of myself and very lowly of everyone else.

S: Do you disagree with that characterization?

M: Not entirely, but it isn't exactly flattering. I guess under the right circumstances, power and such, I'd probably wind up burning a bunch of people or something.

S: Really?

M: I think of Nero less as a historical figure and more of as a father figure.

S: Andrew!

M: Is it too soon?

S: A little.

M: Okay, because it's been like two thousand years. I thought Nero jokes were okay now.



If the day is cold, the train slow, people distant. If the moon is out early, solemn and lonely as usual. On that sort of night, even the light on the dark pavement can remind me of the folds in a silk dress, folded on the edge of my bed by a woman I used to love.


S: I'm just saying that if we both lived like you it would be a pig sty.

M: Yeah, without you I'd probably have never noticed the ants.

S: Probably.

M: Actually, without you around I'd probably have befriended the colony and mated with the queen by now.

Note: Later S made a similar remark about mating with part of the ant colony. And, when you've been married almost nine year you celebrate new conversational milestones like making jokes about mating with an ant colony twice in the same day.


http://youtu.be/ZJqIKWU9v10

I'd wander the streets in February, pretend to be smoking, admire the shards of ice painted like jagged cliffs by a child on telephone wires. The streets all smelled like winter. I'd pretend to text friends, hail taxi cabs just to have them drive me around the block. They were from everywhere but here, and that's what I liked best about them, how little they knew about me, how little they cared that you or I even existed. The cold feel of the leather seats seeping through my jeans and straight into the bone, that's what got me through that first winter without you.

1 comment:

  1. the best father figure is machiavelli..
    truly the ends justifies the means!

    a clean lifestyle is merely an attempt by
    proctor and gamble, johnson and johnson, etc
    to have you buy their "green" products

    did cave men have shower cleaners, toilet cleaners, air fresherners, wipes, etc???

    what the heck is a probiotic???

    ReplyDelete