Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Day 3/2

I had no earthly clue that this song played in Ice Age, a movie I originally detested but later grew to love as I got old. Incidentally this reminds me of the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," which I thought was amazing when I saw it in the greatest movie theater in the history of movie theaters with laughing and clapping. As it turns out, without the greatest movie theater ever it's kind of a trite little piece of crap movie. I guess what I'm saying is that under the right circumstances I can see why people riot, all it takes is the right sort of crowd and I'd be tossing a trash can through windows and looting stores. Parenting 101.



I'm not sure I've been keeping an accurate tab on how many days it is until S has the little one, mainly because I've never really known the due date. Anyhow, it's sort of a semantics of counting type thing, so I'm going to go with three/two days counting popularized in the ancient culture of the Inca in what is now Peru. The Incas...I can't wait to come out with that comprehensive made up history I've been working on for the last five minutes, New York times best seller list here I...sigh.

In the evening we sit in the bathroom in the dark. The light from the hallway makes a geometric shape of light on the floor. And while you lie in the water, half-submerged, I spin a lighter between my fingers and speculate about the color of her eyes. It's decided, after a time, that I'd prefer them to be blue. "Certainly," you say, "though if we have enough we're bound to have one with your brown eyes." I tell you that I expect her to be bald and you smile.

Time passes, the water cools, and you listen to me talk to you about the pain in my knee. It is discovered during our brief my brief psychoanalytic session that I am sad, not because of the pain in my knee, but because I wanted everything to be perfect for her arrival. "I don't want to be gimping around the hospital room," I say. You remind me that nothing in the world will ever be perfect. "Nonsense," I say, "what about this right here. The dying wick of the candle, the water hung round you like silk, and the two of us talking about the way we'd like things to be. Doesn't this remind me of when we were young and first falling in love, how we'd pretend that things were going to be different for us." I didn't say any of that of course, but I could tell that you understood from the way you kept so still in that universe of sound.

4 comments:

  1. I just SERIOUSLY started crying!!! Love you guys. You two are the best. The absolute best. This little girl is SO lucky to have you as her parents. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I have known you since junior high, I could not expect less than this literary gem in regards to your paternal ponderings...I hope you return to this archive to revive, relive, and revitalize these feelings of deep love and sentiment.

    P.S. "Send Me On My Way" reminds me of the movie Matilda (it's at the beginning when she is making pancakes)...also another wonderful movie that mostly recaptures the brilliance of Roald Dahl...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely thoughts. Hold them close.

    ReplyDelete
  4. janet is going to machu picu ?? next july to visit the incan ruins..she can check up on their calendar
    i believe that Ice Age 2 was almost as good-
    rare with a seqauel!
    just dont make her hair into a "zoolander"
    great writing...from the heart

    ReplyDelete