Monday, July 16, 2012

Dream Big

We're having a boy. We're going to do this really cute video where Sadie tells you, but she botched the job. I'm pretty sure it was because she felt like he was already stealing a little bit of her thunder. Anyhow, the real joy of this situation is for Sadie. She's in the clear. I can now hang the wreck and ruin of my failed dreams on the tiny arms of my baby boy. He's probably going to play professional basketball and be a staff writer for the New Yorker. I realize I could set the bar higher, but I don't want him to fail.

Stephanie asked me if I wanted him to be like me, and I said, "of course. But an actually successful version of me." Nah, he'll be fine. He can just run around and do whatever he wants. Who cares if he's athletic or smart? I just want him to be happy...is the sort of thing that weak willed parents would say. I've read excerpts from the tiger mother, and I know that he should probably be dribbling the placenta left-handed in the womb if we have any hope if him getting a scholarship to an Ivy. I'm from the west coast, so I don't really know what an Ivy is, but I know that people out on this coast want them, and so I do too.

I'm thinking his first novel, "Thirty five shades of green" should be out by the time he's fourteen or so. I'm hoping it's accompanied by a retrospective of art work from his tweens. I think a short break is probably in order before he goes on to win the fencing championship at the Olympic games, taking gold in a decisive match, before heading off to an Ivy, briefly getting lost in the shrubbery before emerging as an oil magnate hell bent on the destruction of middle class values due to his east coast elitism. At this point we're probably talking a gubenatorial run, during which, I, as his campaign manager, will spend time slandering his opponents record at financial firms.

After a few years in the governor's office I'd like to see him move into the Senate, where he can advocate for French literature, the wonders of Malbec, and general elitism much to the chagrin of non Ivyer's.  I then foresee a failed run to become President of the United States followed by a path back to glory four years later with movie rights optioned to Sony Pictures Classics. Anyhow, we've got some plans.

1 comment:

  1. i am sure that winchester or wingate will
    achieve all of his (your) goals.
    obviously you plan to quit working within 10 years in order to devote your time and energy to
    his fencing lessons, french tutoring, and
    etiquette training!!
    will oil magnates still exist in 25 years..
    alternative energy magnate??

    ReplyDelete