Saturday, May 14, 2011

-

We've been watching the Harry Potter movies of late for the first time. And, as a subplot of the movies we've begun referring to our sleeping s as Dumbledork. I'm not sure if it's kind, but that's just how she looks when she sleeps.

Average amount NATO spends each week enforcing the no-fly zone over Libya: 1,930,000

I don't think children start resenting their parents until they are in their twenties. I'm not talking about that angsty sort of stuff that every kid goes through that has to be tough. I mean that point in time when you start to consider that even your wonderful parents may have screwed up a time or two. Dumbledork won't though because we are perfect.

Estimated value of arms sent by NATO countries to Muammar Qaddafi since 1969:10,000,000,000

Note: We've still got some zeros to make up apparently. I guess as a general rule we should probably, as a country, stop supporting dictators and gorilla generals and such.

Minimum amount Quaddafi held in U.S. banks at the time his assets were frozen in February: 29,700,000,00

I have an image of him swimming around in a sea of money with his number one dime in a case above him. Why didn't Uncle Scrooge have a lucky 100 dollar bill or a quarter or something? A dime is kind of cheap isn't it?

Percentage of Republicans who said in March that they fear ACORN will steal the 2012 election for Obama: 25

One in four isn't bad.

Date on which ACORN shut down: 11/2/10

That doesn't mean they couldn't get the band back together and steal the election, again, like Gore did in 2000. Oh.

Number of Congress members who gave up some portion of their 2010 salary for federal debt reduction: 3

Before bed each night the two of us generally creep into s's room and peer over the edge of her crib at her sleeping little form. And every time I am the first to leave. I have no idea what this means because I'm not unhappy looking at the child, I guess I just don't want to ruin it by staying too long.

Relatedly:

S: Do you think x (on tv show) is cute.

M: Yes....No, maybe not as much as I used to.

S: Huh.

M: You know people don't look as amazing when you start to get used to them.

S: You're right.

Relatedly: Lil s keeps changing every month or so, which means we never tire of looking at her. Oh, Sadie.

Total amount of these gifts: 15,223.56

That's considerably more than I gave a year ago

Number of seconds it takes for the federal debt to grow by that amount: 0.34

I'm thinking that if we can just take care of this national debt problem everyone can get back to working at good paying and fulfilling jobs, and, at the end of the day they can hop in their flying car and go back home to their wife/husband, loving children, or maybe just loving pet. I mean, things were going pretty amazingly until we hit this debt crisis. Remember how amazing everything was? Thank goodness we're devoting all of our attention to it because once it's gone, we'll probably devise a way to turn the whole earth into a giant rocket ship and we'll fly into a different galaxy where everyone on the earth will love each other and share wealth and stuff. Obviously, I'm kidding, only the hard working people will have money, kind of like now. Zing! I jest.

Signs that I'm older than I think.

Percentage of men who said they would start feeling old when music sounded too loud in bars.

I believe I was twenty eight or so when that started.

Steven Millhauser presents the epigraph:

"I saw that I was in danger of becoming ordinary, and I understood that from now on I would have to be vigilant."

1 comment:

  1. is that NATO expenditure in dollars or euros??
    children resent you the first time you say "no" and mean it!
    please dont use the words "creep and peer"
    when referring to your daughter
    next you will be checking her blog and facebook page and text messages
    the big 4 oil companies made $30 billion
    the 1st quarter-share the wealth??:(
    too old for music or the bar?????

    ReplyDelete