Sunday, December 18, 2011

December songs

Obviously I've already talked about loving "We wish you a merry cheescake" and "It's the most wonderful sale of the year" playing from November through July. However, I wanted to take the time to reflect on some songs from December that don't get as much play in your local mall.

A Long December by the Counting Crows


Of course I'm going to put something by the world's greatest band,
"All at once you look across a crowded room to see the way that light attaches to a girl"

Right on Adam Duritz. And, you know, from what I can gather of the life of bands on the road you've probably seen a lot of light attach itself to a lot of women over the years. That being said, when we're talking about coming to CA, you have my heart.

"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower, makes you talk a little lower about the things you could not show her"

And yes, it has been so long since I've seen the ocean.



Holiday in Spain by Counting Crows

You know what's annoying? When you read an internet list of best books or songs or something, and the dumb bastard making that list just keeps including his/her favorite writer or band over and over again. And it's like, we get it, you like them, I thought this was supposed to be a more comprehensive list than just one band you like. Well,

"Someone stole my shoes, but there's a couple of bananas and a bottle of booze. Oh, well happy new year's baby we could probably fix it if we clean it up all day. Or we could simply pack our bags and take a plane to Barcelona cause this city's a drag"

So yeah, we're totally in the clear when it comes to seasonal because we have a clear mention of New Year's Eve, and, we have that common human theme of being disappointed at the end of yet another year and looking for something new. And as far as looking for something new, a person could do worse than hopping a plane to Barcelona. That said, my Spain fund from two years ago is now being used at parking meters in DC. Oh well, maybe next year.



30 Days by Never Shout Never

Hey look, a song that's not by Counting Crows. Thank God someone else is finally making this list. Anyhow, I posted this song earlier on my facebook as a reminder that you can have a new seasonal song that doesn't royally suck. I mean, yes, it's probably best if it's a bit depressing, the days are short and many people have issues with family, but I'll take it if it means skipping another round of Happy Honda days.

"You'll see, Why I love everything you throw my way. I know it's hard to say, but it's a crying shame. That I came all this way with so much to say. But all that came out was Happy Holiday."

And we have a winner because of the use of Holiday in lieu of Christmas.



The Lights and Buzz by Jack's Mannequin

Okay, I'm just going to deal with the elephant in the room. I am a bit limited by my criteria, however, it is hard to ignore that most of my songs are about having Christmas in CA. I think it's pure chance. But I'm willing to admit that I'm attached to the idea of home as much as the next person. That's right, white winters are overrated, a person should be able to go outside and take a hike or throw the damn football around, or race new remote control cars without being worried about getting frostbite after ten minutes.

"But I'll take a West Coast winter...It's good to be alive." Me too Jack's Mannequin.



Winter Song by Sara Bareilles and Ingrid Michaelson

So yeah, this one, not about CA at all. It's mainly about it being cold and stuff. That said,

"I'll be your harvester of light" kind of melts me. I don't quite know why, but I love that particular phrasing. The gentle romantic that hasn't quite died out in my soul loves it and doesn't care that it's slow or sung by two female popular type singers. Beauty is beauty.



Bon Iver Stacks

I realize I'm a late comer to this guy, so I'm merely preaching to large choir. In fact, I find a few of his songs a little too hard to interpret. However, stacks, which I first heard by the group Sonos is definitively about winter and therefore acceptable to include on that obnoxious playlist you've got going.

Well I've been twisting to the sun and the moon
I needed to replace
The fountain in the front yard is rusted out
All my love was down
In a frozen ground

All right, so the love could actually just be in a metaphorical frozen ground. However, I'm going to interpret it literally and claim it as a winter song with pride because I think it makes a nice addition. Plus, I feel bad about not loving Bon Iver ahead of the curve.



Owl City Vanilla Twilight

I know, too popular. However, the rest of these songs are a little too slow. I think we need a little more computer generated music in this line up. Plus, people in this video look cold and it has Shaq, who made one of the greatest movies ever, Kazaam! I mean, after you do something like that the rest of your career is just kind of a slow trip down from heaven.



Fleetwood Mac Landslide

Oh shi- has anyone heard of these guys or this song? Probably not. Anyhow, the hills are definitely snow-covered in this song, and that's enough for me to include it because it's beautiful and seems to be sort of timeless in terms of its musicality and lyrics.

"Can I handle the seasons of my life?" Hell of a question.



Winter by Joshua Radin

Yeah the SOB whispers his song lyrics too damn much. But yeah, it's winter, we've got a November to remember, a warm December, we're in good shape here to put this song on a list and get a brief break from that date rape classic "Baby it's cold outside." And I'm not going to quibble with "Your voice is the splinter inside me while I wait." Not bad. And, extra bonus for being featured during that really poignant moment on Scrubs.




River by Joni Mitchell

We get some extra street cred for the use of Joni Mitchell in the new holiday classic "Love Actually." So, yeah, she's got a hell of a voice, and I feel like we need a little more hippie on this mix. I jest, what it's missing is upbeat rap. However, as much as I love to dance, something about these short cold days calls for a bit of piano and sadness. I'll skate away with you.

"I'm so hard to handle. I'm so selfish and so sad." Me too, Joni.



White Winter Hymnal by Sonos

I did not, nor have ever, been in a group that sings A capella. However, that doesn't mean I can't appreciate a good song or two in that vein. These songs are legit because the album is called December songs, so we get snow and Christmas and stuff like that. I also have a memory of holding a tiny newborn little girl in my arms and staring out a cold window at the bare black branches of trees and listening to beautiful music. It's hard to imagine she was ever that small. Time, my God, it flies for the young.

2 comments:

  1. but the real issue is..
    which song does lil s like the best and head bang too???
    i still like the classics though..

    as to christmas in california..it is not like christmas anywhere else in united states except arizona and new mexico..but then we have an ocean..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice touch with Fleetwood Mac...that song definitely holds a little holiday magic.

    ReplyDelete