Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Year 2


Year 2. My second year was a pretty solid one. I developed an interest in trains and fire trucks. I know, totally crazy. I mean, what little boy gets excited about trains and fire trucks? All of them.

Positives of being 2: I didn't live in a place that was truly emulating the blizzard on Planet Hoth. Forty mile an hour winds coupled with three feet of snow make life here a bit hellish.

Negative-I lived in Merced.

Positives-I could still wear a pair of overalls and feel pretty solid about my wardrobe.

Negative-I'm wearing a football pair of overalls, they should probably say something like farm man, or tractor loving boy or something.

Positive-I'll give you a big positive. What's that I'm looking at in the dark there? Am I scared? No. That's destiny baby! I'm looking into the light and what do I see? Artistic genius.

Negative-Kind of set my gaze a little high there, should have settled for moderately successful and mildly fulfilling life! That's not the sort of thing that you can tell a two year old to aspire to though, they are noted criers. Like town criers.

Positive-I've got blond hair.

Negatives-Where is the sun? Where is my blond hair?

Positive-I'm not one of those happy looking two's. I look like maybe I'm ready to kick some ass and then write you a poem about it.

Negative-This just provides more fuel to S's fire of claiming I'm typically unhappy.

Positive-At this age you can pour juice all over your face, make a mess at the table and people will take a picture of you.

Negative-The same behaviors at thirty get pictures taken of you down at the police station.

Positive-I had no clue what the hell an ice dam was. I didn't spend my day swinging a seven iron at shards of ice out an open window in a blizzard.

Negative-I couldn't swing a golf club at shards of ice. Really satisfying stuff.

Positive-I still have the dinosaur phase of my childhood to look forward to.

Negative-Now I can only look back on the dinosaur phase of my childhood.

Positive-I didn't have any plans. I was just taking life as it came to me. I didn't have to think about scaling my roof and brushing off snow to keep the sky light in the bathroom from leaking.

Negative-I can't really come up with anymore. Being two kicks ass! You are majorly cute, developing language skills, and still small enough to hug and adult's leg like it's a big f-ing tree. Those were good times.

2 comments:

  1. Personally, I found you very enjoyable at that age. You couldn't talk much, but you could play with me all day long. That was a good time in life...why do I have to turn 32 in a few days, and you 30 in another month? How is that? Let's just go back to Merced and go out back and "hide" on top of the big wooden table to get away from Chambois, our crazy dog.
    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is an absolutely amazing photo..it captures the spirit of life and innocence
    at least trucks and trains are better than sitting in front of a tv playing wii or play
    station
    overalls are great befvore the age of 10 and over the age of 40..unless you are a farmer
    lots of pockets, warm, and quite sylish?
    being 2 kicks ass!!

    ReplyDelete