Monday, June 7, 2010

Conversations


Conversations About Snuggling:

M: I just don't think that you enjoy snuggling as much since you got pregnant?

S: No. It's just, I don't like being touched.

M: Are you sure you still understand what the term snuggling entails?


Some typical conversations:

S: If you could find my cell phone. I think I saw it floating around somewhere earlier.

M: If it's floating around it should be easy to find.

Science Wednesdays:

S: Our baby is the size of a shrimp.

M: It’s the size of a sperm.

S: You can’t see sperm, they're invisible.

M: Well, you haven’t seen this one. (Includes typical male posturing voice).

S: No you.

M: Do you see what I did there? You "haven't seen" this one, thereby seconding the whole invisible thing.

S: Oh.

M: I’ll just go ahead and handle both sides of this conversation.

S: That would be easier.


Related conversations:

Any time a promo for the television show Grey's Anatomy is on.

M: I'd like to see her anatomy.(You literally won't believe how old that joke has gotten after five years three times a week, but it's a commitment I've made to making that joke, and I'm sticking by it. It's stripped of meaning.

While playing Mexican Train dominoes:

Be careful, it's really easy to lose your train of thought while you're playing.

I'd hate for me to de-rail your chances at winning.

Baby Size Conversations:

S: Yesterday it was the size of a blueberry but next week he’ll be the size of a raspberry! (Said with excitement).

M: Aren't those about the same size? Like could you really distinguish between the two offhand.

S: You're ruining this for me.

Uncle Andrew:

Watching my tiny little nephew claw his way across the floor with a look of unabashed glee on his face.

M: What's he up to? He looks so excited.

He arrives with an insane grin on his face and puts his mouth over the top of my hand.

M: Oh, I see. He was coming over here to eat my hand. I guess babies get smarter as they get older.

Random conversations:

M: Hon, so, how soon can we start messing them up?

Others:

M: That dumb little thing can't understand anything that I'm saying.

S: You can't say that in front of the baby.

M: He doesn't even have ears yet....Does he?


Tangentially related NYT article that is probably 100 percent true and certainly 100 percent true of me as I detailed in an as of yet unpublished essay.

1 comment:

  1. new look, new shirt, what to say...
    im not sure??!!
    little kids will chew on anything available...
    beware..
    "jean style" huggies..what is next??
    kobe asked "is it offensive to be offensive"?
    your little raspberry may be the next strasburg
    whats with the "he"..it may be a she
    now go paint and decorate...

    ReplyDelete