Friday, June 4, 2010

Suggestions while you're working


Unfortunately, I've started to run out of web sites to check while I'm, ostensibly working. This is a tragic occurrence, rivaled only by the Peloponnesian War and the ensuing crisis, which though terrible in terms of human lives lost, contributed to a real growth in philosophy. Although, the greatest tragedy of reading something like the Pelop/War is seeing the great historian, Thucidyes recording the events. Do you know why Thucidyes wrote about the Pelop/War? Because his name was Thucidyes. What the hell else are you going to do? Fix chariots down at the tracks? Hell no! Your name is Thucidyes. You probably need to have a job like imminent historian or philosopher extraordinaire. Life is pretty much decided for you.

I think I had a point like a paragraph back. Anyhow, here is a reenactment of my day on the computer. Working....I wonder what the weather is like? Checks weather at 20016. Continues to work. Working...I wonder when the season finale of Glee is? Resists the urge to check in favor of continuing work. Working...I wonder if someone has e-mailed me in the two minutes since I last checked my e-mail? Oh. no. What if I update it now? No. And, now? No. Huh. I wonder if espn.com has an update about the Finals posted. As I'm reading the article I realize how incredibly vapid it is, and I mentally beat myself up, I say things like, "how is this furthering your career as a writer? (Though inexplicably, despite its appropriate usage, I don't use the word furthering. I say something more like, "How is this helping you to become a better writer. If I had used furthering in the first place I'd be a better writer).

Working...I wonder if someone has updated their facebook status and said something incredibly, mind-alteringly funny. Huh. No. Just the usual stuff. Maybe if I check it now. I wonder what N. is up to. I haven't seen them in seventeen years. The kids look well. Unmarried though. Tough break. Working...Oh, someone commented on my wall post. "I removed my name from your wall post." Well, at least I have that comment. Can I like my own status? What if it isn't even good? Is it good? Is it funny? Will people read it, and say to themselves, "What a clever bastard?" Will they chuckle? If it's really funny will they read it to someone else in the room with the tag line, "You're going to love this?" Is this much self-consciousness even necessary? Thank God I generally write fiction.

Working....Do you think Mgoblog has updated something about Michigan Football? Gobluewolverine.com? UM Hoops? Maybe in the mean time ESPN has put up an article that is going to change the way I think about basketball. "Kobe says the game is going to be hard fought. The Celtics are good, and they really want to win. I also want to win," said Bryant. How quickly can I scroll? Maybe the next one is going to be great.

What is the relative measurement of engagment between "liking" something and posting an actual comment. Because, I like to like things, but am I really just copping out? Should I be doing something more? Why haven't I read Moby Dick or any Chekhov? Can anyone recommend "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie?" In the end....Wait, what else. HTML giant? The Atlantic.com? ???????

Because earlier I linked to the Pelop/War and used the word philosophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment