Saturday, July 25, 2009

Driving Sideways

I've never really been one for honking the horn while I'm driving. I find the noise intrusive, and perhaps my original sin roots lead me to always believe that any honk is intended for me. I always look around certain that I've broken some obscure traffic code and am being reprimanded for my oversight. Thus, I'm not much of a honker myself. But lately, lately I've taken to honking. We own a small hybrid vehicle so the honk is more of a high-pitched squeak, but I've found that if you really lay into the horn another driver might cock his head for a moment, as if listening for the sound of his cell phone before dismissing the miserly honk and continuing on about his merry way.
And I'm certain that this whole complex honk, and I'm at fault thing has to do with all sorts of unresolved childhood issues, but I'm not really interested in that. I just wonder, when someone honks, do most people assume that they were at fault?

My second response to a honk is to then become angry. Especially if I've actually done something to warrant the honk.
S: Well you did cut him off
M: He should have anticipated that I'd cut him off. It was clear that I'm having a bad day.

M: I'm new to this city, the least that jerk could do is be friendly.

M: Really, all that honking is doing is almost causing an accident because we're all turning around to see what caused it.

I also respond to honking, even when I'm at fault, by honking back. Nothing gives me greater satisfacation than responding to a warranted honk than an unjustified response of my own. Again, I know, it probably has to do with Adamic roots, the apple and all, but I enjoy reminding people that even though I was at fault they might also have been at fault at some point in their driving careers. I consider the return honk to be like when Christ says, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." Except the stone is a honk and no one sins when they drive, just ask them.

On our way to Delaware this evening I was passed by a large (read hickish) truck on the shoulder while a person was taking a left in front of me. If I hadn't checked my rear-view I would have been slammed into by this truck careening around the corner. To honk or not? My wife would just say that you are encouraging the person and nothing you can do will dissuade them from driving poorly. I'm of the opinion that wrongdoers need to be reprimanded immediately and the good Lord provided us with a horn to deliver the rebuke. I honked, justifiably so. Question for any reader, to honk or not. Allow unjustified evil to continue unabated or avoid large angry white men with tattoos?

I then proceeded to catch up to the truck and watch him pass three people around a long corner and into a blind turn. I honked then as well.
S: How is this helping?
M: I'm helping everybody else. The next time I'm in the car it will probably be me that he's driving towards head on. That bastard is going to kill someone! I felt such great old man rage.

Finally, as we near Steph's parents house I see that my dear friend in the truck has gotten in an accident....shocker. He is yelling at this young guy who he's rear ended and then the guy in the car just sped off into the night and the large (read stupid) neophyte jumped back into his truck and chased after him.
I honked again. And I am sure that as he drove down that lonely highway, chatting away on his cell phone, he heard the soft rebuke of my horn. I can see him pulling over to the side of the road and calling his mother. I can hear him telling her on the phone about all his unresolved anger at being the youngest. I can see the blur of lights passing him on the highway, and the offer of rebirth that is hidden in the rhythm of the passing wheels that my honk has offered him.
So, to honk or not? I think I've presented a fair case for both sides.

4 comments:

  1. When I hear a honk, I definitely think it's meant for me. Does that mean I have complex unresolved childhood issues too?

    Also, I think it's OK to honk at Delaware yahoos, but avoid the ones with gun racks on their trucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wrongdoers must be reprimanded. For example, when I am honked at my first thought is: "There's obviously a deficiency in my driving that should be corrected, and I appreciate this constructive criticism." A friendly tap of the horn goes a long way.

    Enjoying your blog, btw.

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not a reprimand. It just starts a _______ match.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, but I think we can all agree that who wins that match is probably the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete