Saturday, September 12, 2009

I do other things as well














I think it's safe to say that people who read this blog do so because they are
related to my by blood or marriage, or have a profound interest in finding a home in the Washington, D.C. area. That said, sometimes I fear that I'm painting myself as too one-dimensional. I do a lot of other things with my time besides blogging about housing.

1. Spend time on Redfin looking for houses, scrolling through neighborhood stats, crime ratios and looking at pictures of sex offenders
2. Driving through neighborhoods and looking suspiciously at anyone congregating. Note: We're putting a no congregating sign in front of our house.
3. Making offers on houses
4. E-mailing our realtor
5. Drive down random D.C. streets examining other people's porches and drawing S's attention to fine grillwork on a wrought iron fence.
6. Look at people walking dogs on the street and proclaim Petworth, Eckington, Columbia Heights/anywhere we can afford to live a great neighborhood.


All in all I feel like I have a really balanced life that isn't being properly represented by this blog. Ergo; my aim is to give some free and entirely unwarranted/unwanted advice to people. I think it's safe to say that really this blog has morphed into a must read for fashion conscious DCites. Sort of like a Sex and the City for people who don't like cities and who are moderately afraid of sex. Ergo; I'll begin with some fashion tips.

1. I don't know when this fad started where girls where galoshes at the slightest hint of rain but it's not even remotely cute. Note: If you're reading this and you happen to be a galoshes wearing girl I'm certain that you pull it off with the style and grace of a young Jackie Kennedy so bear with me as I talk about others. Perhaps it's because I worked in child care for years, but it's only cute when a five year old girl wears galoshes. Do you know why? Because she's five. Five-year olds enjoy doing things like stepping in puddles and splashing and generally making a nuisance of themselves. Do you know why we don't wear galoshes when we grow up? Because we don't jump in every random puddle, and we hate having anything remotely approaching water on our selves. So the galoshes protect against that you say? Wrong. Not walking through puddles like a jacka-- protects against that.

2. While working in the library I witnessed a young lady wearing a hat that seemed to be a cross between a court jester's hat and a long over-sized sock. I'm going to go ahead and say no right off the bat and hopefully prevent the craze before it gets started. Just because it rains doesn't mean you get to dress like a hobo. Note: I've been accused, rightly so, of dressing like a hobo by friends.

3. I ran out of fashion tips. But I have this great story about a house.....

How would this scenario end up if you were a child bidding?

I want ten.
I'll give you two.
Eight.
Four.
x

Solve for x using common sense. That's kind of the point we're at in the house negotiations, waiting on the final offer to come through so we can buy a house and begin talking about grout/resale value/school districts/how overpriced fences are. On the other hand, I've always been terrible at math and maybe x is like some huge number that I can't even fathom. Now I'm freaking myself out. Let's see, if I can get the variable on one side.....

Aside against fall: The rain started in today. Everything was grey. I took an umbrella to work and left it. I'd do that every day if given the chance. Umbrellas are for wimps. I'm not a big fan of fall because it is followed by winter. Winter lasts about five months and typically throws me into a great state of sadness/loneliness. Something about being from CA makes the cold seep down into my bones and just kind of sit there. When I came home I took the hottest shower I've taken in months. I tried to warm myself up for the onset of winter. I sat at the window and watched the rain batter the street and all the people scuttling from place to place beneath half-shells like crabs on the sea floor. Perhaps the winter makes for better writers. One can't read Dostoevsky and Tolstoy without concluding that Siberia may be bad for the body but it certainly deepens the soul. Here's to a long winter.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you should move to Maine. The houses are cheaper and the winters will definitely deepen your soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where were you four months ago when we started this process? That's right, just being cold in Maine instead of recommending this plan when it would have made sense. Lousy sister-in-law.

    ReplyDelete