Saturday, August 22, 2009

Austin

Several people have mentioned that I currently live below the Mason-Dixon line. I'd like to remind all those people that the Mason-Dixon line is a metaphorical line that divides what I think of as the south, from what I think of as the north. Most cartographers are now using my remapping of the United States in maps given to children throughout the lower 48. (Offer excludes South Carolina).

The Mason–Dixon Line (or "Mason and Dixon's Line") was surveyed between 1763 and 1767 by Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon in the resolution of a border dispute between British colonies in Colonial America. It forms a demarcation line among four U.S. states, forming part of the borders of Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, and West Virginia (then part of Virginia). In popular usage, especially since the Missouri Compromise of 1820 (apparently the first official use of the term "Mason's and Dixon's Line"), the Mason-Dixon Line symbolizes a cultural boundary between the Northern United States and the Southern United States (Dixie).[citation needed]

If any of the vast complaining masses can prove to me that D.C. has more in common with the south than the north, than by all means, go ahead.

The great part about being in Austin is that it typically cools off from about 102 to 98 during the evenings when we're out exploring the town. I started the day by swimming laps in our pool, which is about 90 degrees. I highly recommend visiting the south during August Brilliant!

In the airport the other day I watched a CNN story about the most annoying habits of facebook users. The great story that I'm so glad CNN is spending time on, I can't get enough of facebook coverage coupled with whether Michelle Obama's shorts are long enough. It makes me think that our mainstream media is extremely savvy. Anyhow, the "story" claimed that one of the most annoying things that people do is push their blogs on facebook.

Charges Answered: I also hate people who do things like push their blogs on facebook. Nothing is more annoying than constantly getting posts about some person you don't know/care about. Of course, in my case I'm making the simple assumption that people who don't want to read my blog will delete any postings from my account on their news feed. Ergo; if you're in the midst of reading this and suddenly discvoer you have an intense dislike for people who constantly post blogs, and you're wishing you were doing anything other than reading these words, by all means, just go to the news feed and block all messages from yours truly.

Why I blog: I blog because not many people read the fiction stories that I spent hours slaving over. The blog is a nice forum because people can get immediate access to things that I'm writing. Even if they are of low to moderate quality, and only vaguely interesting in the sort of way that novelty items are

Why we didn't get a house: (I think. For all I know we bought the damn thing while I was in Austin). I think we didn't offer on the house because we weren't in love with the house. Should we have been Maybe?
S: It just sees like as soon as this house went on the market people bid on it. I kind of feel like if everyone else wants it maybe we should to.
M: Just because everybody on the street wants to be with the hot girl doesn't mean that I want to too.
S: I'm not sure the analogy works
M: You just aren't listening closely enough.
S: Besides you're married.
M: Precisely my point.
S: Now it's definitely broken down.
M: Probably. But the point still stands.
Should you really "love" something that will be the biggest monetary purchase of your life? What does it mean when someone says that they "love" their house? Is it okay to love something that isn't human? Is the fact that we "love" our new hair cuts, and cars, and houses some sort of reflection of a society more interested in things than in people? If a person puts a great deal of effort into something, do then gain the right to really "love" it? Does a book as good as Howard's End have anything to say about this?

Would we have cold feet/severe anxiety about any house that we were buying? Don't you eventually just have to commit to something if you really want it, and accept that it won't be perfect, because nothing in life is, and learn to make it work. Isn't that what being an adult is all about?

2 comments:

  1. I love Howards End...wait...do I???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my car, but when I bought it I went home and cried. I spent too much on it and shoulda been more responsible and gotten a used one. But, I dooo love it. So, basically, I'm saying, be prepared to cry.

    ReplyDelete