Sunday, August 30, 2009

Offering again

We put in a bid on the house with the dungeon basement, kids in the attic crawl space house. Which, the biggest shock was that my whole family said, "What? You put an offer on that house? I guess I'll have to go back and read your post more carefully."
I can see that after thoroughly rereading my post that they make a good point.

And I quote: The trolls living in the basement appear friendly, but we've yet to open up negotiations due to the language barrier. Or. The squirrels in the attic are really like hearing the pitter patter of invisible ghost children's feet who eat insulation for fun. While we liked the back yard, we weren't sure about using a toilet without plumbing in the unfenced yard. We feel that defecating in public view might send the wrong sort of message. And so on.

Despite the various misgivings about the lack of central air, usable basement, et al. S and I concluded that we could make it work. That we could treat this child like one of those high school moves where the popular kids fix up the nerdy one, and it turns out the nerdy one has been uber hot all along and just hiding beneath glassed. But wait, the nerdy kid doesn't really want to leave behind their friends because deep down they know that the nerds were actually better people...and. I guess the analogy, (as usual) broke down a little while ago, but we're still excited to fix the place up.

On the way home from making the offer we discuss houses.

M: Here's my impression of what you want. I think you're looking for a three bedroom single family home, with an attic and basement for storage, with an open kitchen, granite counter tops, maple cabinets in a walkable neighborhood with a below average crime stats that has a Whole Foods in the basement. Then you'll say. "Is that too much to ask for" and start crying.

S: Did you just say a Whole Foods in the basement?
M: I think so.
S: That would be nice. (Pause) That does sound like me.
M: (internal smile).
S: You should probably put that on your blog.

Our move in party has been changed to a barn raising. We're expecting everyone to come and help us fix up our house eighties montage style. I'm guessing that it will take us about the duration of one really good song to make the place look like new. At some point we can also throw paint on each others clothes and laugh. At the end we can all have a beer and sit down on an old couch and admire our handy work. I'll expect to see you all there.

2 comments: