Saturday, January 23, 2010

A Day at Home

Like most Saturdays, I began the day by claiming that I didn't want to do anything. I realize that I probably shouldn't use the word claim because it implies that though I said that I didn't want to do anything, I in fact did. I did not. Needless to say we wound up doing a few projects and making yet another trip to Home Depot.

Interpolation:

On finding some mice droppings on our floor.

S: Every time we have mice they dupe me. I think to myself, oh those are just some pieces of rice on the floor or some coffee grinds. It's always mouse poop.

M: Well, at least it's one more thing for us to obsess about.

S: I don't want one more thing.

S: I have some traps we can set.

M: I have some traps as well, but they are mostly intellectual ones where I try and get the mouse to voice an unpopular opinion and then ritually shame him into leaving.

S: I'm not sure those are going to be as helpful.

On the plus side, we were finally able to put up our head board. A head board that has to this point been the bane of our existence. I can honestly say, (not honestly) that putting up that head board has really changed our lives. I'm glad that we spent so many hours worrying about how to properly mount the thing. We stood back from the project and realized that our room was finally complete. Or not.


On Politics and Religion:

M:Let's go see a movie.

S: We've seen like a million lately.

M: We've seen three in the last month.

S: Almost a million.

M: I'm just trying to find the cultural conversations that I can have with people since no one reads books anymore.

S: Why don't you talk about politics?

M; Talking about politics is like talking about religion, nobody changes their mind and everybody leaves upset.


I enjoy things that are beautiful. I also enjoy things that make me feel sad. Sad probably isn't the right word. Oh well, inability of language to express things perfectly and such.




And yes, our utility sink did get clogged up and we had a fifth visit from the plumbers within the last month.

M: I guess we might as well get you guys a room here!

Plumber: I'm trying to do my job.

M: I guess we should just up and buy one of those fancy snake cleaner outers ourselves?

Plumber: These are only to be handled by professionals.

M: I like faucets.

Plumber: I think we're done here.

5 comments:

  1. RE: mice, want to borrow our cat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like conversing with professionals. I learned a great deal about breaking into cars from our AAA guy. I imagine if your plumber friend was a little friendlier, he'd tell you all sorts of interesting things about getting into houses via the sewers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get a cat---don't simply borrow one!! No rats, mice, lizards, etc. ever enter my house...not even the garage--

    ReplyDelete
  4. Which of my cats would you like? Murray is bigger, but if Ruthie ever stopped eating long enough to be hungry, she'd be formidable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What was that weird shack at westmont called that was off in the woods on it's own??? Those boys had mice, but when one of the roomies brought a boa home, the mice all ran off to cook heartwarming meals in some other kitchen (probably the DC). Or you could get a cat.

    ReplyDelete