Thursday, January 28, 2010

Politics are silly

Sage words from a friend of mine in the library. The other day I appended a short story to my blog. Naturally, I assume that the few people who take the trouble to read the blog (take the trouble? I probably meant go to the trouble) probably read things that I post in the text. However, I had a conversation with S that went thusly.

M: I listened to that story I posted on my blog the other day. It made me cry.

S: What story?

M: (And yes, I'm going to avoid the obvious fact that a short story made me cry. I'm also not going to mention that I was actually at work processing loans while listening to this short story, and thus crying in my cube). Good times.

M: The one I put on my blog.

S: Her? (Not really).



Point being, when you can't count on your spouse to read something, you probably can't count on anyone else. So, here is my new proposal, use this link
and then click on reading. A small box will appear on your screen, or a a download. Click open. Now skip ahead to about the thirty minute and thirty second mark. If you've got extra time, listen to the rest. But for now. Just listen to the last story.

The point of this little endeavor is to (hopefully) illustrate the way in which we are all connected. We may not all believe in the same styles of government, but I think we are united here in being human, in being able to sympathize and empathize. When I made S listen to this story she asked, "Is it going to ruin my dinner?"

"No," I answered her.

At the conclusion she turned down the proffered salad and proclaimed it the worst short story she'd ever heard. She was crying. It made me feel connected to her. You don't have to cry for me to feel connected with you, but it doesn't hurt.

Just listen. Feel. It is a good thing that we can do this together. It is good to feel. Hell, it's good to feel sad every now and again.

1 comment:

  1. I read it and was so moved and so horrified and so overwhelmed I just couldn't say anything. Thanks for scarring me for life.

    No, but really, thanks.

    ReplyDelete